The Town House
The Town House was originally built in 1849 by the Town Commissioners to provide a Police Station and a residence for a "Superintendent", who was also the town surveyor and rate collector. Taken over by the County Constabulary in 1857, the building remained a police station until 1938.
After many years of multiple use, Yeovil Town Council acquired the building and, after restoration and conversion, re-opened the premises with a council meeting on the 140th anniversary of the first meeting held there by the original Town Commissioners.
The adjoining building was purchased in 1994 and converted into the Mayor's Parlour which is situated on what was the exercise yard in front of the three police station cells. The cells still exist - though no longer used for their original purpose!
In recent years, the Town House has been extended to provide improved meeting facilities. These include a more spacious reception area and better access facilities for disabled persons - including a lift to the first floor, a wheelchair accessible toilet, a hearing induction loop and disabled parking provision in front of the building. Baby-changing facilities are also available.
The reception is a useful source of information about what's going on in Yeovil and also has information and contact details of local voluntary and community organisations.
The Offices are open on weekdays (excluding public holidays) from 9.00am to 3.00pm. Tel: 01935 382424