Historic Plaque Trail 

To help Yeovil celebrate the Millennium, the Town Council affixed historic 'blue' plaques to a number of buildings across the Town Centre. The plaques are a fun way for learning about the pat use of many of Yeovil's most famous landmarks. 

Each plaque explains the historic significance of the building to which it is attached. For example we learn that Yeovil's oldest licensed premises, a former coaching inn, was knows at 'The Miremaid' in 1629. 

Another property is Penn Villa in Penn Hill, which was built around 1840 and is the former residence and dental surgery of William Hunt and his son William Alfred, 19th century pioneers in the use of dental anaesthetics. The premises are still used as a dental surgery today. 

 Much of the cost of producing the plaques was met by contributions from the occupiers of the buildings participating in the scheme, with the balance being met from the Town Council's Millennium Fund.